Chief Judge Patrick Schiltz of the U.S. District Court in Minnesota ordered the acting head of Immigration and Customs Enforcement to appear in person on Friday and explain why he should not be held in contempt for violating a prior court directive.
In a three-page order, Schiltz said the Trump administration had failed to comply with dozens of federal court orders in recent weeks, creating “significant hardship” for immigrants detained under Operation Metro Surge.
He wrote that he had been “extremely patient” as the government sent thousands of agents into Minnesota without making provisions to handle the inevitable wave of habeas petitions and related lawsuits. “The court’s patience is at an end,” he said.
The judge directed Todd Lyons, ICE’s acting director, to personally appear and “show cause why he should not be held in contempt of court.” Schiltz, who was appointed in 2006, acknowledged it is unusual to summon a federal agency head to his courtroom, but said lesser measures have failed and the scope of noncompliance is extraordinary.
What the order requires
Schiltz’s order lays out a narrow off-ramp. Lyons would not need to appear if the parties file papers confirming the release of the detainee at the center of the current dispute. Otherwise, the acting director must face the court and explain ICE’s failure to honor multiple directives in a timely manner.
The court flagged a pattern of missed deadlines and ignored instructions, from producing detainees for hearings to providing bond reviews within tight statutory windows.
The language signals potential sanctions. Contempt can include fines, adverse rulings or other remedies designed to compel compliance. The judge also warned that continued defiance risks broader institutional consequences, especially where individual liberty is at stake and the court’s supervision is explicit. Although rare, federal courts have used contempt findings to enforce immigration-related orders when agencies resist or delay.
The case that triggered the showdown
The immediate dispute involves Juan Hugo Tobay Robles, an Ecuadorian man who entered the United States in 1999 as a minor.
He was detained earlier this month and held at Fort Snelling, according to filings. After Tobay Robles challenged his detention, Schiltz ordered federal authorities to provide a bond hearing within seven days, or immediately release him if no hearing occurred. On Friday, Tobay Robles’s lawyers notified the court that no hearing had been held and that their client remained in custody.
By tying Lyons’s appearance to Tobay Robles’s liberty, the court drew a bright line around due process. The judge’s order also reflects a broader reality in Minnesota, where detainees and their attorneys have flooded the docket with emergency petitions related to arrests under Operation Metro Surge. The court said it would not allow administrative overload to function as a de facto suspension of basic rights.
A broader clash over Operation Metro Surge
The enforcement push has accelerated friction between federal agencies and Minnesota officials. Local leaders argue that the influx of personnel, without clear identification standards and robust evidence-handling protocols, has complicated policing and clogged court calendars.
Federal officials counter that the surge targets dangerous offenders and that agents must operate at tempo to reduce risks to the public and to officers on the street.
Schiltz pointed to systemic strain, not individual disagreements. His order criticized the government for failing to plan for predictable litigation, noting that habeas petitions, bond requests and emergency motions were certain once large-scale detentions began. The court said repeated failures to follow directives had real human costs, including unnecessary days in custody and barriers to legal representation.
