President Donald Trump said early Sunday that a suspect had been apprehended after the security incident that forced him and first lady Melania Trump out of the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner in Washington. In a Truth Social post cited by The Times of Israel, Trump said law enforcement had taken a suspect into custody after shots were fired in the vicinity of the event at the Washington Hilton.
That update added a new layer to a fast-moving story that had already disrupted one of Washington’s highest-profile annual gatherings. Reuters and The Associated Press had earlier confirmed that Trump, Melania Trump and other top officials were evacuated after loud bangs or possible gunfire sent guests scrambling under tables. At the time of publication, however, Reuters and AP had not yet updated their main stories to independently confirm Trump’s statement that a suspect had been apprehended.

The distinction matters because the event moved quickly from confusion to evacuation, and public information emerged in fragments. Reuters reported that a freelance photographer working for the news agency heard four to six loud bangs in the hotel, though not in the immediate vicinity of the dinner. AP reported that one law enforcement official said a shooter had opened fire, but the agency also said there were no immediate signs of injuries among the senior officials in attendance.
Trump suspect apprehended claim follows chaotic evacuation
Trump’s Truth Social post is now the clearest public statement from a principal figure saying that law enforcement had secured a suspect. According to the Times of Israel’s live coverage, Trump said a suspect had been apprehended after shots were fired near the dinner. He also praised the Secret Service and law enforcement response.
Reuters and AP both documented the chaotic scenes inside the Washington Hilton. Reuters reported that many of the roughly 2,600 guests took cover while Secret Service officers in combat gear entered the dining room and moved the president and first lady out. AP reported that the banquet hall was evacuated as guests ducked under tables by the hundreds and security forces flooded the building.
Those details establish the seriousness of the incident even before every point is formally confirmed by investigators. The Secret Service response was immediate and visible. The room was locked down, guests were moved out, and a major federal security posture took over the hotel. That is not how authorities respond to a minor disturbance or routine false alarm.
At the same time, the exact sequence remains only partly public. Reuters said the immediate trigger heard by its photographer was a series of loud bangs. AP said one law enforcement official described a shooter opening fire, but it also stressed that a fuller official account was not yet available in the first wave of reporting. Trump’s post added the claim that a suspect had already been apprehended, but that point still awaited independent confirmation in the main Reuters and AP reports available at publication time.
What is confirmed and what remains unresolved
Several facts are clear. Trump and Melania Trump were removed from the dinner. Vice President JD Vance and other senior officials, including Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and Secretary of State Marco Rubio, were also at the event, according to AP. Reuters and AP both reported that attendees took cover and that federal security personnel quickly secured the venue.
It is also clear that the event was interrupted by what authorities treated as a live threat. AP reported that one law enforcement official said a shooter opened fire. Reuters reported that multiple media outlets said there was a gunman. Both agencies said Trump was safe after the evacuation.
What remains unresolved is just as important. At the time this article was prepared, Reuters and AP had not independently confirmed in their principal reports whether the suspect was in custody, where the suspect was found, whether the person had been wounded or killed, or what the motive may have been. There also was no full official public accounting yet of where the shots were fired in relation to the ballroom itself.
That leaves the current state of the story in a familiar breaking-news posture. The central event is real and serious. The president was evacuated from a major public dinner after an apparent armed threat. But some of the most consequential details are still being established through official channels rather than treated as fully settled facts.
Trump’s first correspondents dinner as president ended abruptly
The security incident also changed the meaning of what was already a closely watched appearance. Trump had attended the dinner as a private citizen in past years, but this was his first time attending the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner as president after years of boycotting it. Reuters and AP had both previewed the appearance as a notable moment in Trump’s strained but highly public relationship with the press.
Instead of a presidential speech becoming the center of attention, the evening turned into a security emergency. Reuters reported that Trump and the first lady had bent down behind the dais before being escorted out. AP reported that guests yelled for others to duck as the banquet hall was evacuated.
The setting makes the disruption especially significant. The annual correspondents dinner is not only a media event. It is also a heavily choreographed gathering attended by senior administration officials, journalists, executives, celebrities and security teams. A threat serious enough to shut down that environment will inevitably raise questions about screening, perimeter security and whether the event itself was specifically targeted.
Those questions were still unanswered when Trump issued his Truth Social update. His statement may end up being the first public indication that the immediate threat had been contained. But until investigators provide a detailed timeline, the broader picture remains incomplete.
Why the next official briefing matters
The next meaningful shift in the story will likely come from the Secret Service, local law enforcement or another federal authority offering a formal public briefing. That is when the public can expect more clarity on whether the suspect was taken into custody at the hotel, whether there were any nonfatal injuries, and whether the incident was aimed at Trump, the event more broadly or another target inside the building.
For now, Trump’s Truth Social post has become part of the factual picture because it is a direct statement from the president after the evacuation. But responsible coverage still requires separating what Trump says from what has been independently verified by wire services and law enforcement. Reuters and AP confirm the evacuation, the panic in the ballroom, the heavy security response and the president’s safety. Trump’s post adds the claim that a suspect was apprehended. That claim may well prove correct, but it remains a separate layer of information until other major outlets or officials confirm it directly.
The immediate result is that one of Washington’s most visible annual events has turned into a major security story. Trump is safe. The first lady is safe. Senior officials were evacuated. And the president is now saying the suspect was apprehended. The remaining unanswered questions concern the suspect’s identity, the exact path of the attack and how close the danger came to the head table before the Secret Service moved.
